A report claims Pedro Almodóvar’s Oscar-nominated dark comedy “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown,” will be adapted for an Apple TV+ series starring Gina Rodriguez from “Jane the Virgin”.
‘Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown’ to be adapted for an Apple TV+ series
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Apple has bought an option for a series based on the original film. Meaning, there is no series or completed script at present but Apple TV+ owns the rights to develop one.
Sources say Apple has optioned the rights to develop a TV series based on the feature that secured the writer-director his first Oscar nomination (for foreign-language film). Jane the Virgin grad Gina Rodriguez will star in the potential series as Pepa, who was originally portrayed by Carmen Maura in the feature about the romantic mishaps of voice actors who dub foreign films. Sources say the Apple TV project will feature a mixture of English and Spanish.
“Masters of Sex,” and “Mozart in the Jungle” writer Noelle Valdivia is writing the script and will also be showrunner if the series gets the green light. Canadian/American Lionsgate Television will oversee production, which will also have Almodóvar executive producing through his El Deseo company.
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown already exists as a film from Almodóvar that won Oscar, BAFTA, and Golden Globe nominations.
For $4.99 per month, Apple TV+ is available on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and Apple TV via the Apple TV app.
- Apple TV+ releases another teaser of ‘Servant’ season 3 ahead of its premiere on Jan 21, 2022
- Apple TV+ orders thriller series “Disclaimer,” starring Cate Blanchett and Kevin Kline
- Apple TV+ will premiere “The Sounds of 007” James Bond documentary in October 2022
- Apple TV+ to produce Elizabeth Holmes biopic ‘Bad Blood’, starring Jennifer Lawrence
- Tim Robbins to star in Apple TV+ new drama series ‘Wool’ with Rebecca Ferguson
- Brad Pitt to star in Apple TV+ original film based on Formula 1 racing – Report
- Jonah Hill to star in Apple TV+ and Martin Scorsese new biopic on Grateful Dead, 1960s rock band
- Apple TV+ original ‘Foundation’ was one of the most pirated shows of 2021
- Apple TV+ releases the teaser trailer of “Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock” coming in Jan, 2022
- Apple TV+ acquires new “The Beanie Bubble” movie, starring Zach Galifianakis and Elizabeth Banks