Despite changes from Leopard’s version, the Snow Leopard “List View” option leaves a lot to be desired. All that can be changed using Terminal and a few commands. Warning: as of now, this cannot be easily reversed. Use this only if you don’t plan to go back. Here’s how it’s done:
1) Open Terminal(Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
2) Enter “defaults write com.apple.dock use-new-list-stack -bool” and hit Return
3) Enter “list- stack -bool yes” and hit Return
4) Enter “killall Dock” and hit Return.
5) If steps 2-4 don’t work, quit Terminal and reopen. Enter this instead: “defaults write com.apple.dock use-new-list-stack -boolean yes; killall Dock” and hit Return.
6) Change a folder on the dock to “List View”(if you don’t have one already) and click on it to use the new List View. Enjoy!