Two weeks after its first release at WWDC 2020, Apple has released the second developer beta for iOS 14 and iPadOS 14. Registered developers with the Apple Developer Center can easily install the update from Settings > General > Software update on their devices.
Announced in the Keynote session on June 22, the new design, features, and improvements in iOS 14 and iPadOS impressed users. Since the release, users are discovering features in the operating systems like Carkey, new privacy features, App Clips, and others which will be helpful for users in their daily lives and will enhance their experience. On a unified architecture, software on both devices, iPhone and iPad, are almost identical.
Although it is not recommended to install developer beta because of possible bug issues, over heating, data loss, and other unknown problems, some users still want to test it out. So, follow our guides on how to download iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 betas. It is recommended that users back up their data to iCloud prior to installation.
Developer beta for iPhone and iPad
Apple has truly given users a new experience in the iOS 14 and iPadOS with redesigned home screen, call and Siri user interfaces, widgets, translator, stronger privacy features, and more. Here is a quick overview of what to expect in the public beta release later in July.
- Picture-in picture
- New message features like pin important messages, Memoji, and group chats.
- Translate app
- Car keys
- App Clips
- Car Play
- New design language: sidebars, search, toolbars, and drag and drop.
- New Siri and phone calls compact UI
- Apple Pencil updates: smart selection, shape recognition, and data detection.
- AR updates
The following devices are compatible with the latest operating systems:
- iOS 14
- Phone 6s and later models
- iPhone SE (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
- iPadOS 14
- iPad (5th, 6th, 7th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air (3rd generation) and iPad Air 2
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch, 10.5-inch, 11-inch(1st and 2nd generation) and 12.9-inch (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation)