Apple has introduced a redesigned Compass app with new abilities for users to create Waypoints and retrace their steps with Backtrack.
However, Apple explains that the accuracy of the Compass app can be affected by magnets. Therefore, watch bands with magnets might interfere with the Apple Watch compass like Leather Link, Leather Loop, Milanese Loop, and earlier Sport Loop watch bands with magnets or magnetic material.
The most compatible watch band for the Compass app are Sport Loop bands.
The presence of magnets can affect the accuracy of any compass sensor. Apple’s Leather Link, Leather Loop, Milanese Loop, and earlier Sport Loop watch bands use magnets or magnetic material that might interfere with the Apple Watch compass. The compass isn’t affected by Sport Loop bands introduced in September 2019 or later, or any version of the Sport Band.
New Waypoints and Backtrack features of the Compass app are only available on watchOS 9
Although the Compass app is available on Apple Watch Series 5 and later, and Apple Watch SE, the new features like Waypoints and Backtrack are only available on Apple Watch Series 6 and later, Apple Watch Ultra, and Apple Watch SE (2nd gen) on watchOS 9.
The completely redesigned Compass app in watchOS 9 surfaces more in-depth information and three distinct views. The app displays a new hybrid view that simultaneously shows both an analog compass dial and a digital view. Turning the Digital Crown reveals an additional view that includes latitude, longitude, elevation, and incline, as well as an orienteering view showing Compass Waypoints and Backtrack.
- How to use Depth app on Apple Watch Ultra for underwater activities
- Apple Watch Ultra vs Apple Watch Series 8 – comparison
- Wrist temperature on Apple Watch Series 8 and Ultra requires 5 days to establish baseline – Apple
- Apple Watch SE 2 reviews roundup: “best” option for first-time buyers and casual users
- Apple Watch Series 8 reviews roundup: a worthy upgrade from Apple Watch Series 5 and older
- Apple Watch Ultra reviews: great screen, battery life, falls a little short of competitors