watchOS 4 was announced by Apple at WWDC 2017 with new features like new Siri, Kaleidoscope and Pixar watch faces, intelligence features, fitness updates, person to person Apple Pay payments, and much more. watchOS 4 will be released this fall for all Apple Watch users (1st generation, series 1 and series 2).You can upgrade your Apple Watch to the developer preview with or without an Apple Developer account. Check out our guide below to find out how.
Before you begin, note that you cannot downgrade Apple Watch to watchOS 3 after upgrading to watchOS 4. Nor can you fix a bricked Apple Watch at home like you can with iOS devices and iTunes. If something goes wrong, you would have to contact Apple Support. If Apple Support in your country supports it, they will take a few days to restore it to the latest non-beta watchOS build. At the time of writing, watchOS 4 beta 6 is the latest version.
Install watchOS 4 on Apple Watch
- Make sure that your Apple Watch is charged at least 50% and placed on the charger. Don’t remove it from the charger throughout this process.
- Find the configuration profile on your Apple Developer Account. If you do not have one, you can find it on certain subreddits.
- Open the link to the configuration file in Safari on your iPhone. This is the iPhone to which your Apple Watch must already be paired.
- When iOS where you want to install the configuration profile, select Apple Watch. It will install the profile and reboot your Apple Watch.
- Once it reboots, open up the Watch app on your iPhone and navigate to General > Software Update. watchOS 4 beta will show up now, ready to download and install.
Follow the steps and grab a cup of coffee because it might take a while. Once done, you should have watchOS 4 running on your Apple Watch. You can test out new updates like the new Siri, Kaleidoscope and Pixar watch faces as well as switch between the list/grid app screen layouts to see which one you like best. watchOS 4 also has a News app with its own complication.
Stay tuned for our ongoing coverage of iOS 11, watchOS 4 and macOS High Sierra.You can also learn how to install the developer previews of iOS 11 on iPhone/iPad, or macOS High Sierra on your Mac using our helpful guides.