At the upcoming WWDC21 event, Apple is expected to launch the next-generation iOS 15 update. Based on industry reports and leaks, iOS 15 will feature redesigned Lock Screen, icons and new food tracking and health features, and much more. More interesting, it is claimed that Apple will further expand widgets functionality by bringing them on iPhone’s lock screen. Building on that 9to5 Mac has shared iOS 15 concept widgets with more interactive capabilities than their current version.
Last year, widgets debuted on iOS 14 which allowed users to place them on right on their smartphones’ Home Screen, amongst the apps. Widgets are customizable and show the set information in the app when tapped on. In addition, users can also use ‘Smart Stacks’ or create their own widget stacks to save space on Home Screen.
But, Parker Ortolani of 9to5Mac believes that a lot of Apple’s native communication, utilities, and other apps need widgets and the company should expand the widgets API to allow developers to create interactive widgets with switches, scrolling, and more capabilities so users can carry out tasks instantly without having to open apps. Like make open most recent email, see weather of their city, replay to a message right from the widget.
iOS 15 interactive concept widgets
Ortolani has shared concept interactive widgets of native apps on iOS 15 like contacts, messages, mail, health, and others. Here are all the beautiful and ingenious designs.
- Communication apps
- Phone widget shows four favorite contacts to call them immediately
- Contacts widget comes with customization options to choose what it can do, show the most recent messages, reply, make calls and more.
- Messages widget displays pinned conversations with contact’s Memoji
- Mail widget shows the number of emails received and different inboxes
- Updates and information apps
- Wallet widget shows Apple Card’s metrics like card balance, due dates, activity, and more
- App Store widget displays Today view cards so users can download an app they like, instantly.
- Health widget shows Apple Watch fitness rings, steps counter or keep the most important metric.
- Books widget gets a play button so users can listen to audiobooks.
- Utility apps
- Camera widget automatically changes the camera mode.
- Compass widget displays directions in real-time on the Home Screen.
- Calculator widget enables users to make calculations right on the Home Screen.
- Voice Memos widget allows users to record audio right from the Home Screen.
- Switches and Links app
- Home widget allows them to control smart devices right from the Home Screen.
- Safari widget lets users jump to and from their favorite websites.
Check out the iOS 15 concept redesigned Lock Screen and icons here. How do you like the created concept widgets? Let us know in the comments section.