Apple has released iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 for iPhone and iPad, respectively, for all users. The software updates had been in beta testing since iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 were released to the general public.
iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3
January 23 – Apple has released the updates for the general public.
January 18 – Apple has seeded the release candidate builds for its latest software update for iPhone and iPad. The update features a number of bug fixes, security improvements, a new Unity wallpaper, and support for the second generation HomePod.
Here are the complete release notes from Apple:
This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
- New Unity wallpaper honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month
- Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to strengthen the security of their account by requiring a physical security key as part of the two factor authentication sign in process on new devices
- Support for HomePod (2nd generation)
- Emergency SOS calls now require holding the side button with the up or down volume button and then releasing in order to prevent inadvertent emergency calls
- Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger may not appear on shared boards
- Addresses an issue where the wallpaper may appear black on the Lock Screen
- Fixes an issue where horizontal lines may temporarily appear while waking up iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Fixes an issue where the Home Lock Screen widget does not accurately display Home app status
- Addresses an issue where Siri may not respond properly to music requests
- Resolves issues where Siri requests in CarPlay may not be understood correctly
The final version of iOS 16.3 is expected to release by February 3 to the general public.
iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 beta 2
January 10 – Apple has released the second beta, after almost a month. The update is available for developers. We will update this post as find any new noticeable changes and features.
iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 beta 1
December 14 – At the time of writing, it is unclear as to what is new in this update. Apple has not shared anything at all in the release notes posted on Apple Developer Center. The update itself is more than 5GB in size for iPhone 14 Pro Max.
It is possible that the company might use this beta update to test and release features such as Apple Card Savings Account, Apple Pay Later, and more. This is merely speculation on our behalf, and we will update this post once we are done installing the update and finding new features.
Apple released iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 yesterday to all users which included the Freeform app for collaboration, external display support for Stage Manager, Emergency SOS via Satellite for iPhone 14, advanced data protection for iCloud, Apple Music Sing, and more.
- New ‘Security Keys for Apple ID’ added on iOS 16.3 and macOS Ventura 13.2 beta 1
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 updates Stocks app with new watchlists options
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 shrinks Dynamic Island to display signal and WiFi bars when playing music
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 code features new ‘Custom Accessibility Mode’, feature not available to beta testers
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 adds new Medications widget for Lock Screen
- iOS 16.2 public beta will enable 5G connectivity for compatible iPhones in India
- iOS 16.2 beta allows Live Activities to show more frequent updates
- Apple collects data on unintentional Emergency SOS calls on iOS 16.2 beta 1
- iOS 16.2 beta 1 brings new Sleep widgets to iPhone Lock Screen
- iOS 16.2 beta brings a new ‘vehicle’ icon for car Bluetooth stereo
- Apple TV app moves up “Featured” row above “Up Next” row on iOS 16.2 beta and other updates
- iOS 16.2 beta integrates Weather app with Apple News to show regional weather-related stories