Apple’s new software update for iPhone, iOS 16, includes several new features for sports fans making it easier to track games and keep up with their favorite teams. The update also includes a redesigned Lock Screen experience, new capabilities in Mail, Wallet, Messages, enhanced intelligence with updates to Live Text and Dictation, and more.
Here are all the new sports-related features in iOS 16
One of the highlights of iOS 16 during the WWDC 22 keynote was the new ‘Live Activities’ feature which allows users to get the information they want on players, and teams and allows them to watch live games in an instant.
Live Activities will live on the Lock screen of your iPhone as a widget that displays real-time information. So, users will be able to get information about sports much faster than if they were to search for them on a browser. Third-party developers will also be able to create widgets that offer real-time sports or commentary.
Apple has also added a new Sports category to Apple News which will display scores, schedules, and league tables for both college and professional sports. Information about a user’s favorite teams and leagues will be synced across devices to enable ‘Live Activity’ notifications.
To show off the new sports widgets, Apple during WWDC showed off a widget that had scores and play-by-play action from Major League Baseball (MLB). The tech giant and the North American baseball league recently signed a deal allowing Apple to air two exclusive live games live on Apple TV+ each week.
Live Activity features for Sports will be available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia when iOS 16 launches later this year.
iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, and macOS Ventura will be released to the general public in the fall alongside the iPhone 14 lineup. The first developer betas of the software updates have been released for developers and a public beta will become available in July.
- Family Sharing in iOS 16: Screen Time requests, Quick Setup and iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Photos in iOS 16: duplicate detection, copy and paste edits and ability to lock hidden albums
- Using TrueDepth camera on iPhone, iOS 16 allows users to create Personal Spatial Audio profiles
- iOS 16 updates Apple Maps with new Multistop routing, Pay for Transit and other features
- iOS 16 brings smarter and more intuitive Siri, Dictation, and Live Text features
- iOS 16 privacy features: Safety Check, lock hidden photo albums, and others