With the release of iOS 14, iPhone owners could finally enjoy having widgets on their home screens alongside their apps and other folders. Widgets are helpful for users to get glimpses of information without having to open the app.
However, for users who find iOS widgets basic or unhelpful, Scriptable, an app from developer Simon Støvring might help change their minds.
Scriptable allows users to customize their widgets with transparent backgrounds and more
Aside from offering insane widget customization options, the app also offers support for input and output parameters in Siri Shortcuts, x-callback-url enabling advanced integration with other apps that support x-callback-url and has extensive documentation for all the native APIs you can use in your scripts.
Here are some of the features offered by the app:
- Run scripts directly on your Home screen using widgets.
- Support for dark mode.
- Synchronize scripts to all of your devices using iCloud Drive.
- Work with files and directories from third-party apps using File Bookmarks.
Though scripting can sound intimidating at first, no need to worry. There are a ton of scripts with simple instructions you can follow on Github and Reddit. Additionally, Scriptable automatically color codes things so that users know what should and should not be replaced A user on Github has compiled a list of widgets and scripts you can run.
Scriptable is available for free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad.
- Gmail, Google Drive, Calendar, Fit and Chrome get new iOS 14 widgets
- New Widgetsmith 2.0 version released with customizable iOS 14 widgets themes and new colors
- Here is a list of iOS 14 apps with Home Screen widgets