WhatsApp is testing new functionality for its ‘archive’ chats feature. WABetaInfo found that the popular messaging company has submitted an update called the ‘New Archive’ through the Test Flight beta program for Android and iOS apps. The new organization feature will finally allow users to archive older or unwanted chats for good.
Currently, the archived chat on WhatsApp automatically reappears in the main chat list, when a new message is sent in an archived chat. So, it makes it pointless to hide an old chat or a group in which users do not want to participate in the archive section. But now, WhatsApp is going to make it more useful by keeping those chats in the background.
WhatsApp’s New Archive feature comes to iOS
Enabled in the app’s Settings, the new ‘Keep chats archived” option will keep messages archived even when a new message is sent on that chat. The app will also automatically mute notifications from archived chats. In addition, users will also be able to delete multiple archived chats via the Edit button. The report details that:
- The archived chat cell is also pinned at the top of your chat list if you have archived chats into
- The archived chat cell is always visible and cannot be hidden.
- The archived chat cell reports the number of unread chats.
- If someone mentioned you in an archived group, you will see the symbol @ in the archived chat cell.
Having said that, the company is not doing away with the previous ‘Archive’ settings. Users who want archive messages to pop up in their chats can easily disable the ‘Keep chats archived” feature.
Starting today, the New Archive feature is available on iOS. Users should update their WhatsApp apps to see the “Keep chats archived” feature in the app’s Settings. However, if the feature does not appear immediately, users should wait for it in the upcoming updates.
- WhatsApp for iPad and multi-device support coming soon, confirms Mark Zuckerberg
- Facebook introduces new business APIs for Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger apps