Windows 8 build 6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508_x86fre_client-enterprise_en-us.iso has been leaked in the wild! This is the first Windows 8 build to be leaked and according to Neowin, it is the final Milestone 1 as well as the last version 6.1 build. You won’t find this build yet on your favorite file sharing website because it has just been leaked to a private FTP.
What is Windows 8 and why should you care, you ask? Windows 8 is Microsoft’s next operating system that is in the works and slated for a 2012 release. Microsoft is planning the following features for Windows 8:
- An App Store with support for .appx apps. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are likely to run the same apps.
- Metro UI for tablets as well as a new Immersive UI. There will be an Immersive UI version of IE too.
- Multi-platform support. Think about how OS X is a superset of iOS. Windows 8 will also support ARM processors.
- Cloud integration. Leaked screenshots so far show Windows Live integration in the taskbar.
- A Windows Phone 7 Metro inspired login screen.
- Auto Aero Glass colorization based on Desktop Background colors.
- A new PDF Reader based on Metro and .appx
- Ribbon in Windows Explorer
This is just the list of things we know from the likes of Rafael Rivera and Long Zheng so far. We still haven’t seen the new UI completely yet as it’s tightly under wraps by Microsoft.
Anyhow, the leaks have begun so we will start getting a better idea of how Windows 8, touted as Microsoft’s biggest challenge for an OS by Steve Ballmer, will turn out to be. If you somehow download and install Windows 8 M1 leaked build, don’t blame Microsoft for the bugs and any issues you run into. Most of it is still Windows 7 in terms of look and feel and functionality. You’re not supposed to be using it and it’s a work in progress.