Apple has shared new updates regarding its services business today, sharing that App Store developers have earned $260 billion since 2008. Based on the numbers shared by Apple last year, App Store developers earning a staggering $60 billion in 2021.
Apple also shared tons of updates on its other services like Apple Fitness+, Apple TV+, Apple Maps, App Store, and more.
Apple shares services updates and highlights
Here are some highlights from Apple’s newsroom update:
- App Store allowed businesses to reach 600 million people each week across 175 countries.
- Developers earned $260 billion since the App Store launched in 2008.
- During the 2021 holiday season, App Store customers spent more than ever before between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Even, resulting in doubt-digit growth compared to 2020.
- Apple Arcade now offers over 200 games without any ads or in-app purchases.
- Apple Music now features over 90 million songs available in lossless audio.
- Later this year, Apple will introduce the ‘world’s best streaming experience for classic music’ with the ‘most beloved features of Primephonic‘
- In just two years, Apple TV+ has received 763 award nominations and won 190 awards, including Academy Award and BAFTA Award nominations, and 12 Primetime Emmy Award wins, amongst many others.
- Apple Fitness+ now supports Time to Run, an audio running experience to help runners improve.
- Fitness+ now features 2,000 studio-style sessions in 4K quality and 11 different workout types.
- Apple Books now has a library of 8 million books and audiobooks and services more than 100 million users each month.
- Apple Pay is now available in 60 countries and regions and works with 9,000 bank partners worldwide.
- Customers used 30 million NFC tickets in Wallet for events across music, sports, theater, and more across the US and Canada.
- Pay and ride transit is now available in more than 200 cities across the world.
- Support for home keys, corporate badges, state IDs, and driver’s licenses will arrive this year for the Wallet app.
- 3D Apple maps will be available in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver this year.
Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Services, said in a statement:
“Apple’s world-class portfolio of services proved essential in 2021, as people worldwide sought new ways to keep entertained, informed, connected, and inspired. With over 745 million paid subscriptions, Apple continues to connect the world’s developers, artists, and storytellers with users across more than a billion devices, delivering powerful tools, content, and experiences that enrich their lives in profound ways every day.”
Apple shows no signs of slowing down with its services offerings. It will be interesting to see if the company announces any new offerings this year.