Apple shared a peek into HomePod’s future updates at WWDC 2020, including the upcoming support for third-party music streaming services. However, not much was revealed about this upcoming feature as it was not discussed it at the event.
HomePod currently only supports Apple’s native music streaming service ‘Apple Music’. Previously, Apple did not allow any third-party apps to run on its HomePod. Thus, the new update will presumably provide a new API or Framework for third-party apps so that they can support streaming on HomePod.
This means that once the update arrives, users can use applications like Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal, JioSaavn, and other to stream music on HomePod. Spotify can currently be played on HomePod by AirPlaying a stream from another device. Furthermore, Siri music requests are initiated by Apple Music at the moment, and there are no details about whether third-party apps will support Siri requests or not.
Support for third-party services will also expand HomePod’s global demand and address the anticompetitive allegations that the company has been receiving from services like Spotify. These allegations highlight that ‘Apple explicitly disadvantaged’ its competitive services in order to promote Apple Music among Apple users. Apple is also expected to add HomePod mini later this year.
Read about more updates revealed at WWDC 2020:
- iOS 14 hidden features: third-party default apps, back tap, emoji search, camera improvements and more
- Messages in iOS 14 features pinned conversations, mentions, inline replies and more
- New QuickTake feature comes to iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max with iOS 14
- New Back Tap can be used to launch apps or Shortcuts in iOS 14
- iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 will let users change default apps like Email and Browser
- Apple’s iOS 14 privacy updates give users more control and transparency over data usage
- AirPods Pro get spatial audio, automatic switching between devices and more with iOS 14
- iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 compatible devices
- iPadOS 14 announced: New Design, Scribble, Improved Siri, and ARKit 4
- iOS 14 announced: new home screen with widgets, car key, and other features