Apple has released the first beta builds for iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 to developers, with Freeform app and external display support for Stage Manager. The updates have been released just a few days after iOS 16.1 and iPadOS 16.1 were released to the public.
iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2
The updates are between 4-5GB in size for iPhone and iPad, so it is likely that Apple has included a number of changes and improvements. Apple’s release notes mention some known issues and bug fixes related to Freeform and Stage Manager, which include the following:
- Can’t delete boards while offline, or if iCloud data is disabled for Freeform. (This means that Freeform may be part of this beta update)
- Adding or removing collaborators can fail while attempting to change share settings.
- While using Stage Manager with an External Display, dragging a second window to the workspace incorrectly hides the Recent Apps list—shifting all windows in the workspace to the right. (This also confirms that external display support for Stage Manager may be available in this beta update)
If you already have the developer beta profile installed on your iPhone or iPad, simply go to Settings > General > Software Update to download iOS 16.2/iPadOS 16.2. If you want to enroll your device in the developer beta, you will have to register to Apple Developer Center for $99/year, which will provide you access to the beta profile and allow your device to get the beta software updates.
Apple has yet to release a number of iOS 16 features so this update may be the one in which these features arrive. Following are the features that we can look forward to:
- Freeform collaborative tool for whiteboarding with FaceTime support.
- External Display support for Stage Manager on iPadOS.
- SharePlay support for Game Center
- Emergency SOS via Satellite on iPhone 14 lineup
- Apple Music Classical app
Check out our coverage of iOS 16.1 and iPadOS 16.1 features:
- iOS 16.1 features key sharing in Wallet, Apple Card Savings account, and more
- iOS 16.1 improves ‘copy-and-paste’ feature with new per-app settings
- iCloud Shared Photo Library feature arrives with iOS 16.1
- iOS 16.1 beta 3 includes “Satellite Connection Demo” for iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro
- iOS 16.1 displays live sports scores on iPhone 14 Pro’s Dynamic Island
- iOS 16.1 expand Apple Fitness+ to all compatible iPhones
- iOS 16.1 includes grouping speakers in Home app, HomePods and AirPlay 2 speakers
- In iOS 16.1 beta, iPhone 14 Pro’s Dynamic Island moves with Reachability
- iOS 16.1 extends the Battery Percentage UI to iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini and others
- Stage Manager expands to older iPads with iPadOS 16.1
- iOS 16.1 contains ability to delete Wallet app