Spirit jailbreak was released some time ago for Windows and Mac users. It allows untethered jailbreak for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad on OS 3.x. It’s only a jailbreak solution and doesn’t provide an unlock for iPhones. Those using Linux must have felt left out since they almost never got a tool to jailbreak their iDevice from the comfort of their OS.
This changed with the release of Spirit for Linux. p0sixninja had released the source code for Linux but hadn’t designed a GUI for the tool. kerneldelmondo took the task of creating a GUI for Linux users so that jailbreaking an iDevice using Linux could be as simple as a click.
Spirit for Linux is available in 2 versions. A normal version and another which is compatible with all architectures. Do keep in mind that a number of libraries would be required to use Spirit. If you’re a Linux user you should probably know how to install them. Since I’m not a Linux user, I can’t help you with that.
Also check out:
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G/3G with OS 3.1.2/3.1.3 with Spirit (Untethered for all devices!)
- Jailbreak iPad OS 3.2 with Spirit
- Jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS with 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 with Spirit
- Enable iPhone 3GS like Voice Control in iPad
- Make non-iPad apps run full screen (not just pixel-doubling) on the iPad!