Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.1 beta 4 to developers. The first beta was released just a couple of days after macOS Monterey 12.0.1 was released to the general public with redesigned Safari, Live Text, Focus mode, and FaceTime improvements.
Some macOS Monterey features are yet to be released to developers and the general public such as SharePlay and Universal Control, so it is possible that this might be the update that will finally bring these features to everyone. Although SharePlay was available in a few macOS Monterey beta builds, Universal Control was never part of the betas.
What’s new in macOS Monterey 12.1 beta 4?
December 1: Apple has released the fourth developer beta for macOS Monterey 12.1.
What’s new in macOS Monterey 12.1 beta 3?
November 16: Apple has released the third developer beta for macOS Monterey 12.1. At the time of writing, Apple has not published release notes for this update. The public beta has also been released to testers.
What’s new in macOS Monterey 12.1 beta 2?
November 10: The second public beta for macOS Monterey 12.1 has been released to testers.
November 9: The new update is available with the following changes:
- iCloud+ subscribers can now access and use Hide My Email directly from the Mail app.
- In Safari 15 and 15.1, sync storage for Safari Web Extensions is no longer being written into the local storage area. Developers using sync storage can check for storage in the local storage area if they can’t find their data in the sync storage area and do a one-time migration.
What’s new in macOS Monterey 12.1 beta?
October 29: The first public beta for macOS Monterey 12.1 has been released to testers.
Apple has not shared any release notes at the time of writing and we are currently installing the update. Upon testing, we have found that SharePlay has finally been enabled in macOS Monterey 12.1 beta.
Meanwhile, check out our coverage of various new features in macOS Monterey:
- New Safari design and tab groups
- Focus and notifications improvements
- Live Text
- FaceTime improvements and SharePlay
- Shared with You
- Low Power Mode
- iCloud Private Relay
- iCloud password manager in settings
- M1 app improvements
- Spatial audio support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max (M1 Macs only)
Is your Mac compatible with macOS Monterey 12.1 beta?
A number of old Mac models that supported macOS Big Sur are not compatible with the new macOS update. macOS Monterey is compatible with the following Intel and M1 Macs:
- MacBook Air (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook (early 2016 and later)
- iMac (later 2015 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac mini (late 2014 and later)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 and later)
How can you install macOS Monterey 12.1 beta on your Mac?
You must register with Apple Developer Center to enroll your Mac and receive beta updates. This is done by installing a beta profile through a utility that is downloaded from Apple Developer Center. Once you download and install the utility, go to System Preferences > Software Update to download and install the new update. If you are using a portable Mac, make sure that it is connected to a power outlet throughout the update process.