Apple has released watchOS 8.3 for all compatible Apple Watch models. The new update brings support for Apple Music Voice Plan and App Privacy Report, as well as ECG support for China. The software update also expands the Assistive Touch feature to older Apple Watch models.
Table of Contents
watchOS 8.3 features
Compared to previous updates, watchOS 8.3 is a minor update. It features support for the following features:
- Apple Music Voice Plan – a cheaper $4.99/month plan that works only via Siri. Users can access and playback songs, playlists, and stations using this plan, however, lossless audio and spatial audio are not supported.
- App Privacy Report which records data and sensor access by apps and shows a report to users.
- ECG support for China
- Assistive Touch feature support for older Apple Watch models
Here are the complete official release notes from Apple for watchOS 8.3:
- Apple Music Voice Plan gives you access to all songs, playlists, and stations in Apple Music using Siri
- Support for App Privacy Report to record data and sensor access
- Fixes an issue where notifications may interrupt Mindfulness sessions unexpectedly for some users
watchOS 8.1 was the previous major update and released with the following improvements and fixes for Apple Watch:
- Enhanced algorithms to detect falls during workouts and option to enable fall detection during workouts only (Apple Watch Series 4 and later)
- COVID-19 vaccination card support allows you to present verifiable vaccination information from Apple Wallet
- Fitness+ supports SharePlay to allow subscribers to invite up to 32 people to work out together through a FaceTime call using iPhone, iPad or Apple TV
- Always On may not display the time accurately for some users when their wrist is down (Apple Watch Series 5 and later)
watchOS 8 was originally released with a number of new features including built-in apps and workouts:
- Sleeping respiratory rate
- Portrait Watch Face and Photos app
- Messages and Contacts apps
- Find Items app
- Redesigned Music app
- Updated Weather app
- Always-on support for more apps
Check out our detailed coverage of watchOS 8 features for more information.
watchOS 8.3 compatible Apple Watch models
watchOS 8.3 RC is compatible with the following Apple Watch models:
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 3
Install watchOS 8.3
watchOS 8.3 can be installed by opening the Watch app on your iPhone and going to General > Software Update. Make sure that your Apple Watch is placed on its charger throughout the update process.