Apple has seeded iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 beta 5 to developers and public beta testers. The latest beta updates are rolled out a week after releasing iOS 14.5 beta 4 which included new ‘City Charts’ playlists on Apple Music. As the spring public launch time is approaching closer, we can expect new weekly updates.
The build number of today’s iOS 14.5 beta 5 update is 18E5186a and iPadOS 14.5 beta 5 update is 18E5186a. Prior to the release, Apple released the updates of its native productivity apps, Numbers, Pages, and Keynotes are updated with new features and performance improvements in the latest.
New features and improvements discovered in iOS 14.5 beta
- Apple will allow iPhone users to download security patches separately
- Ability to unlock an iPhone via Apple Watch while wearing a mask
- New ‘City Charts’ playlists on Apple Music which will be updated daily
- New ‘Silence Unknown Caller’ prompt
- Anti-stalking ‘Item Safety Feature‘ for third-party Bluetooth trackers and alleged AirTags
- Updated subscription sheet
- 200 new emojis
- Updated Apple Music app with new swipe menu, download icon for songs, and pop-over menu. Subscribers will be able to share lyrics via messaging app or post them on Instagram.
- Ability to set third-party music app as the default music player
- Updated Apple Maps offers to report for hazards and accidents
iPadOS 14.5 beta build is almost the same as iOS 14.5. However, some features are designed exclusively to enhance the iPad experience. The new feature on iPadOS 14.5 is the ability to mute microphone select models. The release note reads,
- Option to mute built-in microphone of iPad (8th generation), iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
To install beta 5 of iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 users must be registered with Apple’s developer and public beta programs for $99.99 per year. Existing member can update their iPhone or iPad by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update.