Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.4 to all users. The update features a change to the Podcasts app and support for Studio Display firmware 15.5. Before the public release, Apple released four beta builds and one release candidate to testers.
Note that Apple has also released macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 software updates to users who cannot upgrade to macOS Monterey. These updates contain security fixes.
What’s new in macOS Monterey 12.4?
macOS Monterey 12.4 is a minor update and includes a new setting for the Podcasts app that allows limiting the number of episodes that can be stored on a Mac. The software update also gains support for Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5, which enables camera improvements such as tuning, improved noise reduction, contrast, and framing.
Apple had released fixes for Studio Display’s poor webcam quality in macOS Monterey 12.4 beta 3, however, users reported that it still does not completely fix the reported issues.
Here are the complete release notes from Apple:
macOS Monterey 12.4 includes enhancements to Apple Podcasts and bug fixes:
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your Mac and automatically delete older ones
- Support for Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5, available as a separate update, refines camera tuning, including improved noise reduction, contrast, and framing
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
macOS Monterey 12.4 compatible Macs
The following Macs are compatible with this software update.
- MacBook Air (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook (early 2016 and later)
- iMac (later 2015 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac mini (late 2014 and later)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 and later)
Download macOS Monterey 12.4
To download and install macOS Monterey 12.4, go to System Preferences > Software Update on your Mac. Wait for the update to appear and click on the download button to start. If you are using a MacBook, make sure that it is connected to a charger during the update process.
- How to clean install macOS Monterey on a Mac
- How to create a macOS Monterey bootable USB installer
- How to download macOS Monterey without Mac App Store
- How to downgrade from macOS Monterey to macOS Big Sur