Apple has released watchOS 8.4 to all users. The update is available for Apple Watch Series 3 and later models.
Apple previously released watchOS 8.3 with support for Apple Music Voice Plan and App Privacy Report, as well as ECG support for China. The software update also brought the Assistive Touch feature to older Apple Watch models.
watchOS 8.4 final version
January 26: Apple has released watchOS 8.4 to all users. The update fixes an Apple Watch charging bug with both Apple’s own chargers as well as third-party chargers.
watchOS 8.4 RC
January 20: Apple has watchOS 8.4 RC to developers.
watchOS 8.4 beta 2 features
January 12: Apple has released beta 2 for watchOS 8.4 but no release notes have been shared.
watchOS 8.4 beta features
Apple has not provided any release notes for the new update. We will update this post once we find any new features. Meanwhile, check out the new features from the previous watchOS updates:
Here are the complete official release notes from Apple for watchOS 8.3:
- Apple Music Voice Plan gives you access to all songs, playlists, and stations in Apple Music using Siri
- Support for App Privacy Report to record data and sensor access
- Fixes an issue where notifications may interrupt Mindfulness sessions unexpectedly for some users
watchOS 8.1 was the previous major update and released with the following improvements and fixes for Apple Watch:
- Enhanced algorithms to detect falls during workouts and option to enable fall detection during workouts only (Apple Watch Series 4 and later)
- COVID-19 vaccination card support allows you to present verifiable vaccination information from Apple Wallet
- Fitness+ supports SharePlay to allow subscribers to invite up to 32 people to work out together through a FaceTime call using iPhone, iPad or Apple TV
- Always On may not display the time accurately for some users when their wrist is down (Apple Watch Series 5 and later)
watchOS 8 was originally released with a number of new features including built-in apps and workouts:
- Sleeping respiratory rate
- Portrait Watch Face and Photos app
- Messages and Contacts apps
- Find Items app
- Redesigned Music app
- Updated Weather app
- Always-on support for more apps
Check out our detailed coverage of watchOS 8 features for more information.
watchOS 8.4 compatible Apple Watch models
watchOS 8.4 beta is compatible with the following Apple Watch models:
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 3
Install watchOS 8.4
Note that it is not possible to downgrade or restore a bricked Apple Watch at home, so we don’t recommend that you install a beta update unless you live close to an Apple Store or service center.
If you know what you are doing, watchOS 8.4 can be installed by registering with Apple Developer Center and downloading the beta profile. Once installed, open the Watch app on your iPhone and go to General > Software Update to download the new beta. Make sure that your Apple Watch is placed on its charger throughout the update process, and you are connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.