In 2020, Apple launched new MagSafe accessories with the iPhone 12 series designed for wireless charging. MagSafe compatible devices contain magnets and other components which emit electromagnetic fields. The company and medical experts warn users that Apple products can cause magnetic interference with pacemakers and other medical devices. Therefore, such users are advised not to keep the iPhone 12 models, AirPods Pro, and other magnetic devices in their breast pockets or rest them on their chests.
Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the U.S found that the latest Apple devices like iPhone 12 MagSafe wireless charger and accessories with high field strength do not have an adverse impact on the function of pacemakers and the risk to patients’ health is low, the Cupertino tech giant has released a list of the products which users with medical devices should keep at a safe distance.
Under certain conditions, magnets and electromagnetic fields might interfere with medical devices. For example, implanted pacemakers and defibrillators might contain sensors that respond to magnets and radios when in close contact. To avoid any potential interactions with these types of medical devices, keep your Apple product a safe distance away from your medical device (more than 6 inches / 15 cm apart or more than 12 inches / 30 cm apart if wirelessly charging). Consult with your physician and your device manufacturer for specific guidelines.
If you suspect that your Apple product is interfering with your medical device, stop using your Apple product and consult your physician and your medical device manufacturer.
List of Apple products with magnets which users with pacemakers and other medical devices should keep at a distance
Here is the complete list of products with magnets that users with the medical device should keep at a safe distance.
- AirPods and charging cases
- AirPods and Charging Case
- AirPods and Wireless Charging Case
- AirPods Pro and Wireless Charging Case
- AirPods Max and Smart Case
- Apple Watch and accessories
- Apple Watch
- Apple Watch bands with magnets
- Apple Watch magnetic charging accessories
- HomePod mini
- iPad and accessories
- iPadiPad mini
- iPad Air
- iPad Pro
- iPad Smart Covers and Smart Folios
- iPad Smart Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio
- Magic Keyboard for iPad
- iPhone and MagSafe accessories
- iPhone 12 models
- MagSafe accessories
- Mac and accessories
- Mac mini
- Mac Pro
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro
- Apple Pro Display XDR
- Beats Flex
- Beats X
- PowerBeats Pro
- Alleged redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch M1 MacBook Pro models will launch this year
- Redesigned AirPods to launch in 2021, AirPods Pro with fitness sensors in 2022
- iPadOS 15 significantly improves iPad experience by running iPhone apps in landscape mode
- What is iCloud+ Private Relay in iOS 15 and macOS Monterey, and how does it work?
- iOS 15 apps: new features in Wallet, Photos, Weather and Maps
- Low Power Mode comes to iPad and Mac via iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey
- Telegram app update adds screen sharing, group video calls, and animated backgrounds on iOS
- New ‘Portraits’ face is now available in watchOS 8 beta 2