Apple’s iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, and tvOS 15.1 betas reintroduce SharePlay – a highly-anticipated feature that was delayed from the iOS 15.0 update because it was not ready to be released. Back in August, Apple confirmed the delay to developers saying the feature would be disabled in the developer beta 6 versions of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and tvOS 15 and the developer beta 6 of macOS Monterey.
SharePlay re-enabled in Apple’s latest software betas
SharePlay allows users to listen to audio together, watch videos together, or share their device screen. A SharePlay API will let developers bring their apps to FaceTime. Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, EPSN+, TikTok, and NBA are some of the apps that are already working on SharePlay API support.
Apple says that testing SharePlay no longer requires the SharePlay Development Profile. However, macOS users will need to update to macOS Monterey beta 7 and install the SharePlay development profile to use the feature. This suggests that the Cupertino tech giant plans to release the feature to the public as part of iOS 15.1 later this fall.
The tech giant is delaying the launch of several headlining iOS 15 features as well as some smaller ones including support for ProRes, App Privacy Report, Find My support for AirPods, custom iCloud e-mail domains, and more. These features are expected to arrive later in the fall.
Learn how to upgrade an iPhone or iPad to iOS 15/iPadOS 15 here.
- Messages in iOS 15: Shared with You, better integration with other Apple apps and more
- FaceTime in iOS 15: Spatial Audio, SharePlay, cross platform calls and more
- What is iCloud+ Private Relay in iOS 15 and macOS Monterey, and how does it work?
- Safari in iOS 15 and macOS Monterey features new design, Tab Groups and switches to HTTPS for compatible websites
- iOS 15 features new Memoji customization options with 40 new outfits, new stickers and multicolored headwear options
- New intelligence features in iOS 15: Live Text, Visual Look Up, smarter Siri, much more
- Apple introduces major updates to Health app including Health Sharing, Blood Glucose highlights, fall risk notification and more
- iOS 15 apps: new features in Wallet, Photos, Weather and Apple Maps