Apple has just dropped the teaser for the upcoming Apple TV+ drama-comedy Physical. The series stars Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Rose Byrne as a housewife in 1980’s San Diego who gets hooked on aerobics and discovers a way to merge her newfound passion with the new technology of videotape to start a business.
Created by Annie Weisman, and produced by Tomorrow Studios, the 10-episode series will make its global premiere this summer on Apple’s streaming service.
Apple TV+ gives viewers a first look at ‘Physical’
From Apple’s announcement back in February:
“Set in the idyllic but fragile beach paradise of sunny 1980s San Diego, “Physical” is a half-hour dark comedy following Sheila Rubin (played by Byrne), a quietly tortured, seemingly dutiful housewife supporting her smart but controversial husband’s bid for state assembly. But behind closed doors, Sheila has her own darkly funny take on life she rarely lets the world see. She’s also battling a complex set of personal demons relating to her self-image… that is, until she finds release through the unlikeliest source: the world of aerobics.
At first hooked on the exercise itself, Sheila’s real road to empowerment comes when she discovers a way to merge this newfound passion with the burgeoning technology of videotape to start a revolutionary business. The series tracks her epic journey from a stifled, overlooked enabler to a powerful, confident economic force, as Sheila transforms into someone we take for granted today (but was entirely radical at the time) – the female lifestyle guru.”
Physical is produced by Tomorrow Studios with Weisman and Byrne serving as executive producers alongside Alex Cunningham, Marty Adelstein, and Becky Clements. Additional executive producers include Craig Gillespie, who directs the pilot, and Liza Johnson and Stephanie Laing, who all serve as directors.
To enjoy Physical when it premiers, users will need a subscription to Apple’s streaming service. For $4.99 per month, Apple TV Plus is available on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple TV via the Apple TV app. It is also compatible with selected Samsung and LG smart TVs, Roku devices, Amazon Fire TV, and tv.apple.com.
- Apple TV+ picks up anthology series ‘The Crowded Room’ starring Tom Holland
- Apple TV+ signs Justin Timberlake to play Chuck Barris in its newly acquired drama series
- Apple TV+ to premier new whale documentary ‘Fathom’ globally Friday, June 25
- Apple TV+ picks up bilingual thriller ‘Now and Then’ that explores the differences between youthful aspirations and the reality of adulthood
- Apple TV+ to release Sundance Award-winning film ‘CODA,’ on August 13
- Apple TV+ signs multi-year deal with Natalie Portman and Sophie Mas production house, ‘MountainA’
- Apple TV+ has ordered new ‘Lady in the Lake’ series starring Natalie Portman and Lupita Nyong’
- Apple TV+ renews ‘Central Park’ for season 3, season 2 debuts on June 25
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai signs multi-year deal with Apple TV+
- Apple TV+ original shows ‘Servant,’ ‘For All Mankind,’ and ‘Amazing Stories’ nominated for The Saturn Awards