Apple has stopped signing iOS 15.0, almost a week after iOS 15.0.1 was released to all users. The latest update was released with a fix for Apple Watch unlock issue on iPhone 13. Apple had also stopped signing iOS 14.8 last week, so the only currently signed version is iOS 15.0.1 and iPadOS 15.0.1 for iPhone and iPad.
The company regularly stops signing older versions of iOS when newer updates are released. This is to get users to stay up to date with the latest version of iOS, while also ensuring that they have the current security updates.
iOS 15 downgrade no longer possible
It is important to note that despite iOS 15.0 not being a ‘mandatory’ upgrade for all users, and Apple allowing them to stay on iOS 14.x, the company also stopped signing iOS 14.8 last week. This means that if any users do not want to upgrade and somehow have to restore their device, they will be forced to upgrade to iOS 15.x. This goes against Apple’s previous plan to allow users to stay on iOS 14.x and still get security updates as they will have to upgrade one way or the other.
iOS 15 is the latest major software update for iPhone, and ships with a ton of new features like Live Text, Focus mode, improvements to apps like Weather, Photo, Wallet, Maps, new Memojis, and more. Check out our coverage of the top iOS 15 features to get more details.
As is customary with all new iOS updates now, there are a number of bugs that are yet to be fixed, especially on new devices like iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPad mini 6. Here are some of these issue:
- CarPlay is crashing when connected to iPhone 13 running iOS 15 – a widespread issue
- On iOS 15, AirPod Pro owners can not use Siri to control Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency features
- iOS 15 bug is deleting photos saved from iMessage chats after an iCloud backup
- Several iPhone owners report an intermittent touch issue on iOS 15
- Restoring iPhone 13, iPad mini, and iPad 9 from backup might cause widgets to reset
- Third-party apps cannot use 120Hz ProMotion on iPhone 13, Apple is working on a fix
- PSA: there is no iOS 15 jailbreak available yet, stay on iOS 14 if it’s important to you
- How to upgrade an iPhone or iPad to iOS 15/iPadOS 15
- Here are iOS 15 features that are not available on iPhone X and older models
- iOS 15 features that have been delayed: SharePlay, App Privacy Report, Wallet IDs and more