Apple has revealed that the first three episodes of the musical comedy series Schmigadoon! will premiere on Apple TV+ on July 16. Starring Emmy Award nominee Cecily Strong, Emmy Award winner Keegan-Michael Key and executive produced by Lorne Michaels, the series is a parody of iconic musicals.
The first season of the six-episode series also stars Alan Cumming, Kristin Chenoweth, Aaron Tveit, Dove Cameron, Ariana DeBose, Fred Armisen, Jaime Camil, Jane Krakowski, and Ann Harada.
Apple TV+ ‘Schmigadoon!’ to premiere on July 16
From Apple’s press release:
“Schmigadoon!,” a parody of iconic musicals, stars Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key as a couple on a backpacking trip designed to reinvigorate their relationship when they discover a magical town in which everyone is living in a studio musical from the 1940s. They then discover that they can’t leave until they find “true love.”
The musical comedy is co-created by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio. Cinco Paul serves as showrunner and wrote all of the original music for the series. Barry Sonnenfeld directs and executive produces. In addition to starring, Cecily Strong serves as producer, and Ken Daurio serves as consulting producer and writer.
Schmigadoon! will premiere on Apple TV+ on July 16. To enjoy the series when it becomes available, users will need a subscription to Apple’s streaming service. For $4.99 per month, Apple TV Plus is available on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple TV via the Apple TV app. It is also compatible with selected Samsung and LG smart TVs, Roku devices, Amazon Fire TV, and tv.apple.com.
- Apple TV+ picks up anthology series ‘The Crowded Room’ starring Tom Holland
- Apple TV+ signs Justin Timberlake to play Chuck Barris in its newly acquired drama series
- Apple TV+ to premier new whale documentary ‘Fathom’ globally Friday, June 25
- Apple TV+ picks up bilingual thriller ‘Now and Then’ that explores the differences between youthful aspirations and the reality of adulthood
- Apple TV+ to release Sundance Award-winning film ‘CODA,’ on August 13
- Apple TV+ signs multi-year deal with Natalie Portman and Sophie Mas production house, ‘MountainA’
- Apple TV+ has ordered new ‘Lady in the Lake’ series starring Natalie Portman and Lupita Nyong’
- Apple TV+ renews ‘Central Park’ for season 3, season 2 debuts on June 25
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai signs multi-year deal with Apple TV+
- Apple TV+ original shows ‘Servant,’ ‘For All Mankind,’ and ‘Amazing Stories’ nominated for The Saturn Awards