Apple has released the final version of macOS Big Sur 11.5 to all users. The minor update features an improvement to Podcasts app and two other bug fixes for Music app and M1 Macs.
Table of Contents
What’s new in macOS Big Sur 11.5?
Just like iOS 14.7 and iPadOS 14.7, macOS Big Sur 11.5 is a minor update. Apple only mentions a few fixes and improvements in the release notes:
macOS Big Sur 11.5 includes the following improvements for Mac:
- Podcasts Library tab allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Music may not update play count and last played date in your library
- Smart cards may not work when logging into Mac computers with the M1 chip
Does your Mac support macOS Big Sur 11.5?
macOS Big Sur 11.5 is compatible with the following Macs:
- MacBook Air (2013 and newer)
- MacBook Pro (late 2013 and newer)
- MacBook (2015 and newer)
- iMac (2014 and newer)
- iMac Pro (2017 and newer)
- Mac mini (2014 and newer)
- Mac Pro (2013 and newer)
How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur 11.5?
On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Software Update to download and install the new update. If you are using a MacBook, make sure that it is connected to a power outlet throughout the update process.
All eyes are now on macOS Monterey which is currently in beta testing and is already on its third developer beta at the time of writing. The new operating system update will ship with new features:
- New Safari design and tab groups
- Focus and notifications improvements
- Shortcuts app
- AirPlay to Mac
- Live Text
- FaceTime improvements and SharePlay
- Shared with You
- Low Power Mode
- iCloud Private Relay
- iCloud password manager in settings
- M1 app improvements
- Spatial audio support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max (M1 Macs only)
- watchOS 7.6 released with ECG and Irregular Rhythm Notifications in 30 new regions
- tvOS 14.7 released for Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K
- iPadOS 14.7 released with Apple Card Family, Podcasts, and Music app updates
- iOS 14.7 released with MagSafe Battery Pack support and Apple Card Family updates