Apple has released the seventh betas for iOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4, and tvOS 14.5, to developers and public beta testers. All these updates are very small in size and contain minor bug fixes and improvements.
Here is a detailed look at the upcoming changes in these operating systems:
iOS 14.5 beta 7
iOS 14.5 has slowly turned out to be a huge update with tons of new features. These include new features like emojis, Music and Reminder app updates, Apple Maps improvements, and quality of life enhancements such as the ability to download security patches without complete software updates, default music streaming service change, detailed subscription information, and more.
Here is a look at everything found in iOS 14.5 betas so far:
- New ‘A14X’ chip reference is discovered in iOS 14.5 beta 5 code
- iOS 14.5 beta 4 reveals that Apple might let iPhone users download security patches separately from new updates
- Apple seeds fourth betas of iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 with new ‘City Charts’ playlists on Apple Music
- New ‘Silence Unknown Caller’ prompt is discovered in iOS 14.5 Beta 3 code
- Apple Podcasts is replacing the ‘subscribe’ button with ‘follow’ in a few weeks with iOS 14.5 update
- iOS 14.5 beta 3 includes anti-stalking ‘Item Safety Feature’ for AirTags and other Bluetooth trackers
- Find My support for Powerbeats Pro is coming to iOS 14.5
- Apple adds protection against zero-click attacks in upcoming iOS 14.5 update
- iOS 14.5 beta 2 reveals updated subscription sheet with design changes and explicit information
- iOS 14.5 beta 2 features 200 new emojis, Music app updates, and more
- iOS 14.5 beta uses Apple’s own servers as proxy for Google ‘Safe Browsing’ Requests
- Apple Maps in iOS 14.5 beta offers reporting for hazards and accidents
- Apple testing new location for ads in the Search tab of App Store with iOS 14.5 beta
- iOS 14.5 lets you change default music streaming service using Siri
- Code found in iOS 14.5 beta indicates that a financial health feature might be added to Wallet app
- iOS 14.5 lets you unlock iPhone with Apple Watch while wearing a mask
- iOS 14.5 beta enables dual-SIM 5G support for iPhone 12 series
- New Apple Card Family feature for multi-user accounts is discovered in iOS 14.5 code
- Apple fixes iOS issue that blocked searches for ‘Asian’ as adult content
tvOS 14.5 beta 7
Nothing new has been found in this new beta, however, tvOS 14.5 features the following updates:
- Siri Remote is renamed to Apple TV Remote in the operating system, hinting towards a new Remote model coming out soon.
- References to a FaceTime and iMessage framework have been found in tvOS 14.5 code, which hints towards Apple’s upcoming smart speakers with a camera and display.
watchOS 7.4 beta 7
watchOS 7.4 features support for unlocking iPhone with Face ID, while wearing a mask. This feature works with iOS 14.5 on iPhone. Face ID can detect masks so that an unlocked Apple Watch can unlock the paired iPhone. This feature can only be used for unlocking an iPhone, as you still need to use a passcode for payments and other authentication features, if you are wearing a mask. watchOS 7.4 also supports AirPlay 2 for Apple Fitness+.
Apple had announced that these updates will be released to all users in Spring, which means that the final releases should be out soon. The company releases a release candidate build which is as close to the final build as possible. If there are any issues found in the release candidate, the company follows up with another one until it is ready for the public.